Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host.
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
- Thomas Ken (1674)
I’ve had these few lines rattling around in my head quite a bit lately. A bunch of my friends are participating in 30 days of Thankfulness, which is awesome. It’s kind of fun to see the things all of my friends are thankful for - from the incredibly sappy to the randomly funny things each day.
I am not awesome at posting regularly to my social media accounts (unless we’re talking about the social media accounts I manage for work, then I’m pretty good at consistency). But, I think there’s something kind of beautiful and important about thanking God for some of the great things in my life, so I’ve decided to knock out all 30 days in one blog post.
1. I’m thankful for an awesome husband who has voluntarily and cheerfully picked up some very strange things from the grocery store for me over the past eight months, happily offered to paint my toenails, makes me laugh to the point of tears during our painfully long birthing class, and who I couldn’t imagine living my life without. He’s pretty awesome. And I’m totally crying. Let’s chalk it up to pregnancy.
2. I’m thankful to be kicked frequently and forcefully by the little guy taking up increasingly more real estate in my abdomen. I can’t wait to meet him.
3. I’m thankful for parents who are not only really awesome parents, but also awesome coworkers. Apparently, that’s not something everyone can say.
4. I’m thankful for my brother who is and always has been himself. He’s pretty cool, and he’s amazing and pretty much everything he tries. I’m glad he’s both my brother and my friend.
5. I’m thankful for in-laws who I would gladly choose to be my family again tomorrow. Apparently, this is also not something everyone can say.
6. I’m thankful for my church and for the incredible relationships we’re building. “For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.” Romans 12:4,5. Seriously.
7. I’m thankful for the women’s bible study and small group that meet in our apartment. Life is really more fun when there are people coming and going frequently from the place you live.
8. I’m thankful for our apartment. The window leaks, our neighbors smoke, the management leaves a bit to be desired, and our dishwasher works 50% of the time, but it’s full of some really great memories of our first 18 months of marriage. If I’m being really honest, I’ll be sad to leave it.
9. I’m thankful for a job that I not only like, but will be able to continue from home after Baby Knepper makes his arrival.
10. I’m thankful to work with some of the sweetest, kindest, most fun people a person could work with.
11. I’m thankful for Jerry’s Pizza. Seriously.
12. I’m thankful for college football. Clearly, I am not the Hawkeye fan in our family.
13. I’m thankful for shoes this size.
14. I’m thankful for Tums. Sorry, everybody. It’s just my reality right now.
15. I’m thankful for Christmas music. I’m playing it early this year, world. Deal with it. The earlier I can listen to Christmas music, the sooner my baby is here. (Or so I’ve fooled myself into believing.)
16. I’m thankful for my cousin Amber who has kept me in borrowed maternity clothes for the past few months.
17. I’m thankful for snow whenever it comes. It’s just so pretty. It’s not nearly as pretty in Missouri.
18. I’m thankful for Iowa. I’m biased, but I’m pretty sure it’s the greatest state in the nation. (Some people have been known to confuse it with heaven.)
19. I’m thankful for our car. We weren’t planning to buy a car two months into marriage, but it’s working out for us so far.
20. I’m thankful for Clear Lake and kind in-laws who let us stay there.
21. I’m thankful that so far, pregnancy has been pretty easy. I know it’s not that way for everyone, so I’m very grateful that I’ve felt pretty awesome, all things considered.
22. I’m thankful for coffee, and that someday, I’ll be able to enjoy its caffeinated goodness without restraint once again.
23. I’m thankful for Thanksgiving. I love everything about that day from the parade to leftovers.
24. I’m thankful for my bed. It’s so comfortable. Even if I’m not doing so much sleeping in it these days. It’s still nice to read in.
25. I’m thankful for Thai food. It’s just so delicious.
26. I’m thankful for technology. As much as I could turn my phone off a lot more than I do, it is so great to be able to be connected to friends when they’re far away.
27. I’m thankful for my little kitchen and all the fun things that come out of it. (Including this recent favorite.)
28. I’m thankful for a grandma who taught me how to knit when I was 8. It’s a skill that’s come in pretty handy.
29. I’m thankful for music. I know that’s a really generic thing to be thankful for, but it’s the truth.
30. I’m thankful that next year at this time, I’ll be snuggling my sweet almost one-year-old.